As the lead organization working on migration, IOM SLO Addis is working with continental and regional organization such as the African Union (AU), United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) and Inter Governmental Authority on Development (IGAD).
Intervention Focus Areas:
African Union (AU)
- Support AU in operationalizing its policy frameworks and declarations on migration such as Migration Policy Framework for Africa (MPFA), OUAGADOUGOU PLAN OF ACTION TO COMBAT TRAFFICKING IN HUMAN BEINGS ESPECIALLY CHILDREN AND WOMEN, AFRICAN COMMON POSITION ON MIGRATION AND DEVELOPMENT ETC.
- Jointly with the Social Affairs department of the AU, IOM engages in African Union Initiative against Trafficking (AU-COMMIT) campaign in IGAD, ECA, SADC, ECOWAS, ECCAS and UMA regions.
- Works closely with the Political Affairs department of the AU in popularizing and disseminating the Kampala Convention for the Protection and Assistance of Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) in Africa since the adoption of the convention in 2009.
- Works with the peace and security department of the AU in the area of Integrated Border Management and the implementation of the AU Border Program,
- IOM has been closely working with the African Union and other development partners such as African Development Bank (AfDB), European Commission (EC), World Bank (WB) on the creation of the African Institute for Remittance (AIR).
Economic commission for Africa (ECA)
- IOM collaborates with ECA on various initiatives, including the in preparation for the High Level Dialogue on migration and development that took place in November 2013. As a follow up, IOM together with ECA and AU has planned to organize a sensitization workshop for African Ambassadors residing in Addis on the outcomes of the high level dialogue on migration and development,
- IOM actively participates in the Regional Coordination Mechanism for Africa (RCM) its clusters and sub cluster where ECA is the secretariat.
Inter Governmental Authority on Development (IGAD)
- IOM provided technical and financial support to IGAD in developing its Regional Migration Policy Framework (RMPF) that was adopted in 2012 and currently working on wider dissemination and popularization of the policy framework.
- IOM also provided technical support to put in place the IGAD Regional Consultation Process (RCP) and Regional Migration Coordination Committee (RMCC) composed of Heads of Immigration of Member States for the IGAD region.
- Works closely with IGAD to implement the project that aims to build regional and national capacities for improved migration governance in the IGAD region funded by Swiss International Development Cooperation.